IIM Bangalore’s International business summit Vista 2018 presents Street Smart in association with FII. It’s far better to buy a wonderful company at a fair price than to buy a fair company at a wonderful price.”” -Warren Buffet
Valuation is at the heart of mergers and acquisitions. If you have a large appetite for numbers or even playing “”The Price is Right””, this is your chance to experience the thrill of a valuation.
Be it a pitch to buy, or a pitch to sell, be prepared for the many challenges that face you when you land at IIM Bangalore. Pull out all your valuation techniques and all those complex models and be the smartest on the street!
Round 1 (Pre-Vista Prelims):
1. This is an elimination round
2. Online quiz- consisting of 15 questions. Duration – 30 minutes
3. Register for the online quiz before 15th August.
(Further details related to the quiz to be shared after registrations)
Round 2 (On-Campus Finals):
1. 6-8 shortlisted teams will submit a presentation on a proposed M&A deal along with the rationale behind its selection
2. Present it to the panel in the final round
3. One winner and one runner-up to be declared among the teams
1. This is a team event, with each team consisting of 2- 3 participants. Members of the team can be from different institutes
2. This event is open to business and post-graduate students, as well as students pursuing an undergraduate major in finance or a related discipline
3. Teams are required to register on the IIMB Vista website, and participate in the online quiz round. Multiple teams from the same college are allowed
4. The quiz is to be attempted in a team, not individually
5. IIM teams with students going on exchange are welcome to participate as long as there are 2 team members available during Vista
The participants must carefully read through and agree to the following Terms & Conditions before registering:
All decisions in matters of eligibility, authenticity and final judgments will be with organizing committee of VISTA, Indian Institute of Management Bangalore.
The format and structure of events is subject to change before the actual beginning of the event
Round 1 (Pre-Vista Prelims):
Team registrations to be done on Vista website
One person has to register from each team with the team details.
Round one will be an online quiz which will be held on 15th August. The link will be shared with the participants.
Round 2 (On-Campus Finals)
Submissions to be sent to:
Subject line of Email : STREETSMART_<Team Name>
Submission format: .ppt/.pptx
Body of Email: Name, Contact Number, Email Id, Team Registration Id, Institute Name of each team member
Filename: STREETSMART_<Team Name>
Teams have to submit a pitch book pitching the Acquiring Company to acquire one of the three target firms given in the case document. The pitch should broadly consist of the following:
Slide 1: Team name, name of team members, team member’s institute’s name, telephone number of at least one of the team members, e-mail ids of all the team members
Slide 2 to 6: Teams are required to present their analysis in 5 slides with the analysis covering the following aspects:
Understanding of the industry and key drivers
Understanding of the Acquiring Company and its financials
Understanding of the target firms and rationale for acquiring them
Ranking the target firms in order of attractiveness with reasons for doing so
Listing down additional information needed from the Acquiring Company and from the target firms; and how to utilize this information to arrive at a price and what models/valuation methods will be used and why. List down assumptions clearly if valuation is performed using one or more of these methods
Depth of understanding of the industry and the firms
Depth of understanding of reasons for M&A
Methodology of evaluating the target/acquiring firms and ranking them in order
Depth of analysis of the data and information provided in the case document
Understanding of pricing in the industry and inputs that go into pricing
Quality of the pitch in terms of aesthetic appeal and creativity in design and formatting
The data provided in the cases is semi-real but major drivers and legislation are same as in the real world
Sources for any industry data that are used apart from that given in the cases to be mentioned as footnotes in the slides
The companies are purely fictional and any resemblance to any company is purely coincidental
Teams to limit themselves to the data provided in the case for the companies and any assumptions are to be clearly stated in the slides
Teams to present their cases on campus (Further details to be communicated after first round)
Total prizes worth INR25K at stake!