Death By Rebuttal
Team FOCAL brings forth the flagship event Death by Rebuttal to be held during VISTA’17 (the Annual Business Summit of IIM Bangalore). The premium event will bring together the best and worthiest debaters from 8 of the top management institutes in India. The 8 teams will be divided into 2 groups, and the top team from each group will proceed to the Grand Finale.
Prizes Worth: INR 25,000
Round 1 (Pre-Vista Prelims)
- Each participating institute should send a debating team who will represent their institute.
- In case there are more than one team willing to represent their institute at IIM Bangalore, the institute should organize a qualifying round, to select the best possible contingent.
- Death by Rebuttal is a flagship event, and participating institutes have the responsibility of ensuring the participation of their best contingents.
Round 2 - Vista Round
The Group stages and the Finals will be held at IIM Bangalore.
- The participating teams will be divided into 2 groups.
- Each group will have 4 teams, and the group stages will have a total of 12 debates (to ensure that each team gets to participate with every other team in the group).
The winners from each group will compete at the Grand Finale of the flagship event
- Each team comprises of 2 members.
- Each debate will involve 2 teams.
- One team represents the Government, while the other represents the Opposition. The Government team is composed of a Prime Minister, who speaks twice, and a Member of Government, who speaks once. The Opposition team is composed of a Leader of the Opposition, who speaks twice, and a Member of the Opposition, who speaks once.
- Order and Timing of Speeches
For the group Stages
- Prime Minister Constructive (PMC): 4 minutes
- Leader of the Opposition Constructive (LOC): 4 minutes
- Member of the Government Constructive (MG or MGC): 5 minutes
- Member of the Opposition Constructive (MO or MOC): 5 minutes
- Leader of Opposition Rebuttal (LOR): 2 minutes
- Prime Minister Rebuttal (PMR): 2 minutes
For the finals
- Prime Minister Constructive (PMC): 7 minutes
- Leader of the Opposition Constructive (LOC): 7 minutes
- Member of the Government Constructive (MG or MGC): 8 minutes
- Member of the Opposition Constructive (MO or MOC): 8 minutes
- Leader of Opposition Rebuttal (LOR): 4 minutes
- Prime Minister Rebuttal (PMR): 4 minutes
- During the PMC, LOC, MG, MO debaters may rise to ask the debater who is speaking a question or insert a short statement. The procedure for this is as follows:
- The debater who wishes to ask a Point of Information (POI) rises from his or her seat and extends his or her arm to signal that he or she has a point.
- The debater who is speaking may choose to recognize the point or not. If the debater does not want to recognize the point, he or she simply says “No thank you,” or waves the questioner off. The questioner then sits down. A debater may not simply interrupt if his or her point is not taken.
- If the debater who is speaking recognizes the point, then he or she allows the questioner to give their point. At any time, the debater whose speech it is may stop the POI and tell the questioner to sit down.
- Points of Information cannot be raised in the First and Last minute of each speech. Also, POI(s) cannot be raised during the Rebuttal speeches for both teams.
The debater who is speaking does not have to recognize or refuse the point immediately. She/he can leave the questioner standing until it is convenient for the debater who is speaking to indicate whether the point will be entertained. Some debaters ask a special form of POI called a point of clarification. Clarification means that a debater does not understand the case or an argument. If possible, the speaker should try to answer the clarification to ensure a confusion-free debate round. Do not abuse the idea of clarification by asking too many clarification questions or disguising arguments as clarification.
- It is a team event. Each participating institute team will have 2 members.
- The format of debate has been stated above. Debate verdicts by the adjudication panel will be final and binding. Format description links are attached to invitation email.
- The participants must carefully read through and agree to the following Terms & conditions:
- All decisions in matters of eligibility, authenticity and final judgments will be with organizing committee of Vista, Indian Institute of Management Bangalore.
- The format and structure of events is subject to change before the actual beginning of the event
Ithi Garg – 9597369200 – email@example.com